24 November 2016
The Love of Christ compels us! (2 Cor 5:14)
For this year’s Christmas Celebration, we focus on the BURNING HEART as a symbol of God’s unconditional and powerful love. A love which frees us from our own selfishness and sets our hearts burning for others! Come and join us this Christmas time and express something of God’s love for a broken society.
1. The week before Christmas, during one of our NIGHT OUTREACHES to LADIES TRAPPED IN PROSTITUTION, we would like to bless these ladies with a special gift which says something of God’s burning love for them. We were thinking of some art-jewelry (some-one is making small crosses for us), toiletries and maybe sweets like chocolates? (already have 40 slabs of chocolate) We are planning to ‘gift-wrap’ it in special purposely-made bags (produced in our Thessa program production unit) with a Scripture re. God’s love embroidered on it. We were thinking of preparing 40 such gift-packets. Can you maybe help?
2. A day of fun at one of our local public swimming pools is on the table for about 20 STREET CHILDREN, spoiling them with hotdogs, cooldrinks, chips, fruit and sweets. Can you maybe help?
3. And then there’s our BIG CHRISTMAS LUNCH on CHRISTMAS DAY (after the 10:00 church service, commencing around 11:30) where-to literally everyone is invited! Can you believe it, that this year it will be the 9th year that we are to host this very successful project?! From 120 people in 2008, it has grown to 400+ last year! And always there has been more than enough for everyone! Thank you very much for those who have been making this possible year after year! At the moment (thanks to Shoprite-Checkers and some individual donations) we have a lot of samp and rice, as well as plenty of concentrated cooldrink (BUT if someone wants to bless us with approx. 500 cans of coca-cola, it will be great!) Can you maybe help?
3.1 WE NEED MORE OF LESS THE FOLLOWING to COOK 4 BIG POTS OF POTJIEKOS:
* 4x No 22-24 iron “potjiekos” black pots TO BORROW
* 10x 5 kg charcoal, or a big gas-burner with space for 4 big pots TO BORROW
* Boneless stewing meat (60 kg – red meat please)
* Butternuts (20 kg) already promised
* Potatoes (30 kg) already promised
* Spinach (15 kg) already promised
* Onions (10 kg) already promised
* Carrots (15 kg) already promised
* Tomatoes (100) already promised
* Margarine (enough to butter 500 bread rolls)
* Oil (5 litres) already promised
* Garlic (2 kg) already promised
* Buttermilk (5 litres)
* Vanilla icecream (15x 5 litres) already promised 10x 5 litres
* PLENTY of chocolate souce!
* A large number of different types of sweets (for 450 gift packets)
* Face-cloths, body-soap, deoderants (for 400 gift packets)
* Fresh breadrolls (500 PLEASE!)
* Polystyrene cups (400)
* Polystyrene plates (400 – we still have a few left from last year)
* Round plastic pudding bowls (400 – we still have a few left from last year)
* White plastic knifes, forks, spoons (400 of each – we still have a few left from last year)
3.2 We DEFENITELY need MANY VOLUNTEERS before, during and after the Christmas lunch:
• The week before Christmas (19 – 24 Dec) to assist with the preparation of the food
• Christmas Day (07:00-10:00) to assist with the setting and decorating of the tables
• Christmas Day (07:00-11:00) to assist with the final food preparation & serving of the meal
• Christmas Day (12:00-13:00) to assist with the cleanup afterwards
Lastly, you are also most welcome to make a financial contribution to our Christmas program. You can either come directly to the TwoTower churchoffice, or you can make a direct payment to: Towers of Hope Trust, FNB (Brandwag 23-05-34), Cheque account 622-5838-9602 – MARK: Christmas program.
Thank you very much!
Towers of Hope staff & trustees